Remove this ad

Lead

Apr 30 10 1:07 PM

Tags : :

Wow!

Officials: Ba$$ Pro Shop Coming to Harlingen
By Sergio Chapa
Friday, April 30, 2010 at 1:24 p.m.

Read more: Local, Business, Economy, Ba$$ Pro Shop, Harlingen Economic Development Council, Harlingen, Cameron County, Rio Grande Valley, Texas

It's official. A Ba$$ Pro Shop is coming to Harlingen.

After weeks of rumors, the Harlingen Economic Development Council and city leaders held a 2 p.m. press conference to make the announcement.

Armando Elizarde with the Harlingen EDC announced that the mega outdoors and sporting goods store is expected to be built in the city.

Action 4 News will post more information as it becomes available.
http://www.valleycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=451058

I was flipping through the images in the story and included is a Target logo and a Sam's Club logo. Perhaps Target will be expanded into a Super Target or Target Greatland? Maybe the Sam's Club logo is indicative of the long-awaited Sam's Club that was initially proposed for Harlingen Corners. I'd rather a Costco, but why not.

Valley International Airport

Tell me I'm pretty and I won't call you a whore.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

OfCourse

El mas chingon

#1 [url]

Apr 30 10 1:13 PM

Cameron Crossing, eh?

By Sergio Chapa

After weeks of rumors, the Harlingen Economic Development Council and city leaders held a 2 p.m. press conference to make the announcement.

Armando Elizarde with the Harlingen EDC announced that the mega outdoors and sporting goods store is expected to be built in the city.

The 130,000 to 150,000-square-foot Ba$$ Pro Shop is expected to opened early third quarter 2011.

Harlingen Mayor Chris Boswell said the Ba$$ Pro Shop will be part of a major new retail shopping center to be named "Cameron Crossing".

Action 4 News will post more information as it becomes available.

Quote    Reply   

erlkonig

Senior Executive Member

#2 [url]

Apr 30 10 1:22 PM

Best spot. South Harlingen near Lowes. That way you can stop by on the way to the Laguna Madre before you hit the hw 100/83 intersection.

Quote    Reply   

urban2

Senior Executive Member

#3 [url]

Apr 30 10 1:23 PM

where did you see the images? I didnt see any on the news story? And where is it going to be located at?

Brownsville, Metropolis of Rio Grande Valley, The Mother city of the Valley, Patriarch of its communities.

Quote    Reply   

OfCourse

El mas chingon

#5 [url]

Apr 30 10 1:24 PM

urban2 wrote:
where did you see the images? I didnt see any on the news story? And where is it going to be located at?

Hmmm...they were there originally, but not anymore.

As far as location, I don't know. Rumor said it was to be on Dixieland, or that the Ba$$ Pro Shop would be located at the NW corner of the interchange, but we'll find out soon enough.

Quote    Reply   

OfCourse

El mas chingon

#7 [url]

Apr 30 10 1:54 PM

More details...

Ba$$ Pro Shops To Open Superstore In Harlingen, Texas
Friday, April 30th, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Ba$$ Pro Shops Announces Plans To Open A Destination Outdoor Superstore In Harlingen, Texas

Harlingen, TX - -(AmmoLand.com)- Ba$$ Pro Shops, America’s most popular outdoor store, continues its retail growth with the announcement they will open their 57th destination outdoor superstore in Harlingen, Texas.

The store will be from 130,000 to 150,000 square feet and will be the signature anchor for the Cameron Crossing retail development to be located at intersection of U.S. Expressways 83 and 77.

The store is tentatively scheduled to open late second quarter or early third quarter 2011.

“There is no other retailer in America like Ba$$ Pro Shops,” stated Harlingen Mayor Chris Boswell. “Their one-of-a-kind destination retail stores attract an average of 3 million people a year to each store. Typically, when Ba$$ Pro Shops comes to a city they attract more businesses which create more jobs, more taxes and a better community. We are thrilled they chose to be a part of our great city.”

The decision by Ba$$ Pro Shops was the result of over two years of efforts by the Harlingen City Commission, the Harlingen Economic Development Corporation and the developers of the Cameron Crossing.

“Harlingen is the perfect location from which to serve South Texas and northern Mexico,” according to Armando Elizarde, president of the Harlingen EDC. “Cameron Crossing, with Ba$$ Pro Shops as the anchor, will transform Harlingen,” Elizarde concluded.

Ba$$ Pro Shops stores are a combination of museum, art gallery, aquarium, outdoor education, conservation and entertainment. Each store is uniquely themed to the region in which they are located so that no two stores are alike.

“We are excited about locating one of our Outdoor World destination stores in the Rio Grande Valley to better serve our many customers in the region,” said Ba$$ Pro Shops founder Johnny Morris. “Harlingen is a terrific regional location for a store that will highlight the great heritage and outdoor traditions of the families and visitors to the area.”

The Harlingen store will offer outdoor enthusiasts 3 ½ football fields of shopping excitement with the area’s largest selection of equipment and clothing for hunting, fishing, hiking, backpacking, wildlife viewing, camping, outdoor cooking and more. A gift and nature center will also serve up a wide variety of outdoor-related items from lamps and dishes to bird feeders and furniture.

An expansive boat showroom will feature Tracker, Nitro, Mako and SunTracker boats built by Tracker Marine Group—the world’s largest manufacturer of fishing boats. A boat service center will also be available.

Unique exterior and interior motifs have branded Ba$$ Pro Shops as visually appealing, high quality outdoor stores. The outdoors is brought indoors with ma$$ive log and rock work, large aquariums and water features stocked with native fish species, along with an extensive collection of museum quality fish and wildlife exhibits. Historic photos, artifacts, and memorabilia will pay tribute to the Rio Grande Valley’s great outdoors heritage.

Award-winning in their concept and design, Ba$$ Pro Shops retail stores are rated as top tourist destinations. Well over 100 million people visit their stores annually. Widely recognized for their efforts in conservation and outdoor education, Ba$$ Pro Shops stores also offer Outdoor Skills Workshops for adults, kids and families.

Ba$$ Pro Shops, known for hiring a$$ociates that have a pa$$ion for the outdoors, is expected to employ approximately 300 people, many of whom will come from the local region. Employment information is available in the career opportunities section of www.ba$$pro.com

http://www.ammoland.com/2010/04/30/ba$$-pro-shops-harlingen-texas/

Quote    Reply   

Mike Perez

El mas chingon

#10 [url]

Apr 30 10 2:41 PM

LOL... I was ready to post the same story and link from the the property.

This particular property "Cameron Crossing" was cleared and rezoned for light industry / retail development around 2002 or 2003. (I'd heard rumors that it never sold because the land was contaminated...)

In 2006, the city designated three areas of town to be TIF zones (development sites that offer tax rebates to developers to reinvest in the infrastructure of the property). This is TIF Zone #3.

Digging through our archives, I found OC's post that said where they are located:

1. N/NE section of Loop 499 (?)

2. 509/Exp 77 to Valley Race Park area (Lowes)

3. Spur 54/Valle Vista Mall area (Harlingen Corners and now Ba$$ Pro)

This isn't the first time we've discussed this property: http://rgv.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?p=4370#4370

-Mike E. Perez
http://anewharlingen.wordpress.com

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

urban2

Senior Executive Member

#11 [url]

Apr 30 10 2:56 PM

I've been to the Ba$$ Pro shop here in Houston. The stores are amazing to go into and see all the cool displays. I like the indoor Aquarium. The stores have a restraunt and a gift shop in them also.

I think it will do well in the Valley given all the hunting enthusiasts here who like outdoor activities like, fishing, hunting, camping and boating...

Brownsville, Metropolis of Rio Grande Valley, The Mother city of the Valley, Patriarch of its communities.

Quote    Reply   

OfCourse

El mas chingon

#12 [url]

Apr 30 10 3:00 PM

More...

By Sergio Chapa
Last updated: 37 minutes ago

Armando Elizarde with the Harlingen EDC announced that the mega outdoors and sporting goods store is expected to be built at the northwest corner of Expressways 77 and 83.

The $28 million dollar store is expected to be main anchor tenant at a new shopping center named Cameron Crossing.

The 130,000 to 150,000-square-foot Ba$$ Pro Shop is expected to be built on a 25-acre site and to be opened by the Fall 2011.

Officials said the store will be as big as three and a half football fields and include:

Boat Sales
ATV Sales
Indoor Aquarium
Fish & Wildlife Exhibits
Rio Grande Valley Historical Exhibits
Gift & Nature Center

Elizarde said the development will be "transformational" for the City of Harlingen.

An estimated 6.4 million people live with a 150-mile radius of the store.

Ba$$ Pro Shop is expected to attract 2 million visitors a year from the Rio Grande Valley, Corpus Christi, Tamaulpas and Monterrey.

According to a information for the EDC, Ba$$ Prop Shop will have a 20-year lease on the property.

A private developer is expected to put up $7 million dollars for the project while the rest will be funded by EDC sales tax bonds.

Elizarde told Action 4 News that the development will not raise taxes for Harlingen residents.

He said the store and the rest of the businesses it will brings will generate enough sales tax revenue to pay back the bonds.

EDC officials said the Ba$$ Pro Shop is expected to bring 2,040 direct and indirect jobs to Harlingen.

Officials estimate $26.4 million dollars in sales tax revenue are expected to come from the just Ba$$ Pro Shop alone during its first 10 years of operation.

Quote    Reply   

Tex

Executive Member

#13 [url]

Apr 30 10 8:39 PM

WOW, this is bananas!!! What a great anchor for Harlingen and the future hotel & retail it will bring.

Meanwhile...Matt777 is probably dying inside.

Quote    Reply   

erlkonig

Senior Executive Member

#14 [url]

Apr 30 10 11:15 PM

Tex wrote:
WOW, this is bananas!!! What a great anchor for Harlingen and the future hotel & retail it will bring.

Haha. Right now McAllen/Edinburg city officials are having a meeting about how to lure Cabelas to the upper valley. Book it.

Quote    Reply   

Tex

Executive Member

#15 [url]

May 1 10 12:31 AM

Can you guys imagine how big of an attraction this is going to be for the region? Not only that, but imagine how many new retailers will want to share a parking lot with Ba$$ Pro. Tons of people will be drawn to Ba$$ Pro and new retailers know they'll be drawn to new stores located nearby. How is the location going to be affected with the railroad tracks that run parallel to the frontage road?

Ba$$ Pro was smart to plan to locate in Harlingen. It's the best location for the region. All these retailers bet all their money for one store and put it in McAllen or Brownsville, but they would be more successful if they were in Harlingen and could attract a larger customer base.

Quote    Reply   

OfCourse

El mas chingon

#16 [url]

May 1 10 1:37 AM

erlkonig wrote:
Tex wrote:

Haha. Right now McAllen/Edinburg city officials are having a meeting about how to lure Cabelas to the upper valley. Book it.

They can suck it. Ha.

Harlingen hooks Ba$$ Pro Shop
Comments 1 | Recommend 0
April 30, 2010 11:06 PM
By GABRIEL SALDAÑA/Valley Morning Star

HARLINGEN — City officials announced Friday that they have reeled in a big one.

Ba$$ Pro Shops, a national outdoor retailer, plans to open a 130,000- to 150,000-square-foot Harlingen location.

The store opening is tentatively scheduled for late 2011, according to a news release from the Harlingen Economic Development Corporation.

“This is really a monumental moment for the city of Harlingen and all of South Texas,” Economic Development Corporation President Armando Elizarde said.

The Ba$$ Pro Shops store will be located on about 25 acres of land on the northwest side of the Expressway 77/83 interchange, near Spur 54.

It will eventually anchor a 100-acre retail development called Cameron Crossing, expected to be built over a five-to-10-year period, Bob Vackar, one of the project’s developers, said.

Ba$$ Pro Shops stores specialize in the sale of hunting, fishing and camping gear, and each store is designed to capture the essence of its region.

The stores typically include waterfalls, aquariums, museums and art galleries tailored to their respective locations.

The Harlingen store will be Ba$$ Pro Shops’ 57th location.

“Well over 100 million people visit their stores annually,” the EDC release stated.

The store is expected to generate more than 2,000 direct and indirect jobs and generate $26.4 million in sales tax revenue over the next 10 years.

EDC Chief Executive Officer Bill Martin said the Development Corporation would issue between $26 million and $28 million in sales tax revenue bonds to pay for construction costs.

The EDC will own the building, Martin said, and Ba$$ Pro Shops will lease it.

He said the bonds would be repaid using sales tax generated by Ba$$ Pro Shops and that any gap in repayment would be a$$umed by the EDC without affecting the city’s tax rate.

While no formal contracts have been signed to launch the project, both the city and Ba$$ Pro Shops have signed a letter of intent, which outlines the terms of leasing and rental for the building, Martin said.

Martin discussed the previous secrecy of the project, which was known by the code name “Project Nebraska” for that last two years.

“There have been rumors about this for a long time,” he said. “Of course, I signed a non-disclosure agreement so I never, until today, uttered the name Ba$$ Pro Shops. So it’s funny when other people are talking about Ba$$ Pro Shops and I had to look like I didn’t know anything about it.”

Mayor Chris Boswell reflected on the two-year process leading up to Friday’s announcement.

“This project has been a long time coming and there were times when we just didn’t think it would get here,” Boswell said about Friday’s announcement. “But it is.

“It has gotten here today.”
http://www.valleymorningstar.com/news/harlingen-72826-ba$$-hooks.html

Hot.

Quote    Reply   

OfCourse

El mas chingon

#17 [url]

May 1 10 3:12 AM

Hawt! More info.

Ba$$ Pro Shop to bring in $26 Million in revenue By Rafael Carranza
Friday, April 30, 2010 at 10:39 p.m.

After two years of negotiations, Harlingen city leaders announced a Ba$$ Pro Shop would make its way down to the Valley.

Officials made the announcement Friday afternoon.

“On behalf of the Harlingen Economic Develpment Board, I would like to announce that the Ba$$ Pro Shop will be coming to Harlingen,” said Armando Elizarde, the chairman of the Harlingen Economic Development Corporation.

The so-called Project Nebraska will be anchored by the Ba$$ Pro Shop. It will be built on the northwest corner of the US 77/US 83 interchange, estimated at $28 million dollars.

Construction on the Ba$$ Pro Shop will begin in October.

The store is expected to open by the Holiday season in 2011.

"It will employ over 300 people and create $26 million in sales tax revenue," Elizarde said.

Harlingen residents told Action 4 News they are excited about the shopping center.

"I've always bought things at that store up in San Antonio, which is the closest one there, so I'm glad to have one locally," Harlingen resident Bill Elliff said.

"It’s definitely big savings and everything, we'll be leaving our money here in Harlingen," another resident, Cesar Morales, told Action 4 News.

More stores for the shopping center will be announced in the coming months.

Despite initial reports that tax payers money would be used to pay for the project, Elizarde said it is not true.

"The EDC solely is issuing the bonds, it will solely affect the EDC,” he added. “It does not affect the City of Harlingen and it doesn’t raise their taxes."

http://www.valleycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=451315

Quote    Reply   

Matt777

Senior Executive Member

#19 [url]

May 2 10 1:58 AM

Tex wrote:

Why would I be dying? Dying of laughter, maybe.... I haven't seen a retail store opening draw so much excitement... It seems whenever McAllen opens retail people here seem to say that McAllen is just strip malls.....

Anyway, it's good for Harlingen. It will definitely help the local economy and spur some much needed development in the lower valley.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help